Thursday, April 7, 2011

Saying Goodbye

When we gathered, somehow both glistening and dressed seemingly all in black, at the Rock Candy party Steve Blush put on at Don Hill's, we set aside our pretensions (at 20 what pretensions did i have?!) and enjoyed guitars, bass and drums.

Sank our teeth in.  Shook our fists.

"I never grew out of my teenage angst,
 At age 21 I'm a teenage waste..."

Years on and I could still sing that same damn line (and I have).  But I never would have even had the opportunity to yelp/scream/sing these words if there was no place that accepted me.  And even more important, I never would have been able to do so over and over again,  Encouraged to even...if there was not that home base. 

Fuck, I did rock star shit in that home base.  I am no rock star.

I am extremely glad I got to pay my respects.  The man was far more than just the club that bore his name.  But I can only recall a time or two when he was not around.  Often at the end of the bar.  He would mumble in my ear.  Tell me where Nitebob (who was working with my band at the time) was.  Ask me what I was drinking.

One of a kind.  I am a better person for having known Don Hill.

Thank you Don for all the memories.  They could not have happened anywhere else.  Or without you...

No comments:

Post a Comment