Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rock and Roll Soul...Goodbye Don Hill

When I first met Don, 11 years ago, I was unaware of the legacy he had already created.  One that he would, in later years relay to me without pretension, almost with awe in fact.  It was refreshing to hear him talk about his history in the New York rock scene. Just as it was refreshing to be welcomed onto his stage (with big thanks to Nite Bob) as a no nothing 20 year old.  He usually made a point to say I put on a great show.  Even when I didn't.  Or when he wasn't even watching.  I can't say I knew him well, but all through the years he has continually been kind when our paths have crossed.  He was fully vibrant and genuine when we spoke at The Compulsions gig at his club a few months back.  As usual.

Don Hill's helped define and shape my early 20's.  So in turn Don Hill himself did.  He will be missed.  Deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment